Each year the Schools Animal Care and Ethics Committee (SACEC) issues an Animal Research Authority,on behalf of the respective school sector, to schools in NSW that are accredited with the Department of Primary Industries.
- 2017 — 2018 Animal Research Authority for DoE schools
- 2017 — 2018 Animal Research Authority for catholic schools
- 2017 — 2018 Animal Research Authority for independent schools.
This authorisation is for:
- student participation for activities in categories 1-3
- teacher demonstration only, for activities in category 4
- student participation for collection, observation and release of tadpoles (frogs).
Written approval must be sought in advance from the SACEC for:
- students to carry out category 4 or 5 activities
- teachers to demonstrate a category 5 activity
- teachers or students to carry out any activities that are not on the approved list
- approval for an Office of Environment and Heritage scientific licence.